One of the most common and unknown causes of migraine or recurrent headaches, which mostly women suffer, is related to the digestive system. Below we review the keys to find the foods that may be causing our migraines, as well as some simple and natural remedies to relieve moments of crisis.
What are the possible causes of migraine?
Migraine can be due to various causes:
- States of nervousness and stress
- Hormonal disorders
- Eye problems or visual overstrain
- Bruxism or jaw tension
- Dental infections
- Cervical blocks
- Renal problems
What about food?
If we have ruled out these other causes, one way to verify it is to try to relate the appearance of migraines with the diet of the last 24 hours.
We will make a list of the foods we have eaten. Sometimes we don’t digest a food well because we don’t chew it well, or because we eat at a time of stress. It could also happen that we do not tolerate certain nutrients well. The most common are those that contain lactose and gluten.
If the migraine has a digestive origin , the solution will also pass there. Although there are no “cleansing” foods, we can help our body with a healthier diet that includes foods such as:
- Fruits and vegetables, preferably raw or in juices and broths
- Gluten-free whole grain cereal: rice, millet, quinoa, buckwheat
- Easily digestible legumes: peas, lentils
- Hard-boiled or soft- boiled egg
- Nuts : walnuts, hazelnuts and raw almonds
- Dried fruits : plums, figs, raisins, and dates
- Seeds : sunflower, pumpkin, sesame
- Vegetable oils of first cold pressing
- Natural sweeteners: stevia and agave syrup
In any case, it is best to consult with a specialist what we should eat in these cases.
There are certain foods that can accentuate migraines, such as:
Let’s be very attentive with:
- Strong cheeses
To reduce the inflammation of the head we can resort to foot baths with very hot water for 20 or 30 minutes. They will be even more effective if we add two tablespoons of baking soda to the water.
These three plants, prepared in infusion or extract, will help us to quickly relieve the discomfort of migraine:
- Feverfew: it is the most suitable plant for migraines
- Lemongrass : relaxing and digestive
- Mint: digestive and refreshing
Although we cannot avoid migraines, we can take into account some foods that accentuate them and some remedies that, although not always effective, can contribute to their improvement. If it becomes chronic, we recommend that you go to the doctor and follow his guidelines to mitigate the migraine.