Mushrooms, whose scientific name is: Agaricus bisporus, are one of the most versatile ingredients that exist in gastronomy. Without a doubt, it is a very popular mushroom not only for the various uses it supports but also for its softness and particular flavor.
To take advantage of it, we propose an exquisite mushroom casserole recipe that you can prepare in the comfort of your home. It should be noted that this delicious mushroom casserole recipe will delight all diners, with the added value of good nutrition.
Nutritional properties and benefits
Mushrooms have approximately 20 kilocalories per 100 grams. For this reason, they are considered an ideal cultivated food to include in the daily diet, as well as a good ally to prevent obesity and diabetes. They do not contribute any type of bad cholesterol to the organism and, instead, it contributes abundant fiber.
Mushrooms are mushrooms that provide satiety at mealtime. And it should be noted that its high content of B complex, magnesium and zinc benefits the nervous and bone systems considerably. So if you want to enjoy healthy and strong bones, feel free to include mushrooms more often in your diet.
On the other hand, it must be remembered that mushrooms contain trace elements and minerals considered antioxidants. For example, selenium and vitamin D, which help fight T cells and protect DNA; These nutrients protect us against many diseases. Potassium, on the other hand, contributes to cardiovascular health and is good for preventing the retention of body fluid and, instead, promotes the release of toxins.
How to choose mushrooms?
The moment of purchase of the mushrooms is as important as the preparation of the different dishes itself. If a selection is made correctly, the freshness and quality of the ingredients is guaranteed to obtain a pleasant flavor. Next, we will see some recommendations when purchasing them:
- First of all, those with dark shadows should be avoided, an obvious sign that they are not fresh. You have to prefer them white or very light.
- In addition, it should be noted that they are stored cold, as the storage temperature affects their duration after purchase. In any case, it is not recommended to keep them for a long time at home: two days could be the limit.
- The mushrooms ideal for consumption feel firm when pressed a little, not soft.
- Reject those that are slimy to the touch, choose them rather dry.
- Finally, you should avoid acquiring them if they emit an intense musty smell, a sign that they are close to their expiration date.
What to know when cooking mushrooms
When boiled or fried, many of its nutritional components and antioxidants remain in the water or in the oil. In addition, they decrease their proteins and carbohydrates; it is advisable to reduce the cooking time; on the contrary, when cooked or roasted, these mushrooms seem to increase their antioxidant potential.
Mushroom and Egg Casserole Recipe
This preparation is a good idea to obtain a dish with a high protein index (both animal and vegetable). It allows you to enjoy all the properties of mushrooms and take advantage of their nutritional health benefits, in a tasty way. This recipe is designed for a total of 5 diners.
- 5 eggs (300 g).
- 1 chili pepper (3 g).
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 slices of chopped bread (40 g).
- One finely chopped chive (30 g).
- 1 and a half cups of ricotta or cottage cheese (150 g).
- A tablespoon of finely chopped parsley (10 g).
- 5 trays of sliced mushrooms. (500 g).
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled and julienned (30 g).
- A roasted green pepper, peeled and julienned (30 g).
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- First, preheat the oven to approximately 200 ° C.
- Then pour a little oil into a pan suitable for baking. Add the garlic and chilli, put in the oven and cook for about five minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven.
- Then add the chives and mushrooms to the mixture and stir until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the peppers and bread.
- Add a little more oil to the previous mixture, add the parsley and bake for more minutes. After that time, remove the preparation and add the cracked eggs.
- Season with salt and parsley and bake for another 10 minutes. When you remove the casserole from the oven, add the cheese.
- Lastly, serve and enjoy your mushroom casserole.