Stopping a migraine can be difficult for many people. This health problem usually affects women, who suffer it regularly and without having found an effective solution to combat it.
They often choose to lock themselves in the dark and quiet as the only option to minimize pain, which worsens their quality of life, affects their work and family relationships, and negatively influences their mood.
In this article we explain how you can treat migraine naturally with the help of two very healthy foods: lemon and ginger. However, if the problems get worse, don’t forget to consult your doctor. He will know what to do in any case.
Causes of migraine
Migraines can be due to different causes, making it difficult to treat them holistically.
Natural medicine takes into account the various factors that can influence this pathology, in order to treat it completely and without many of the adverse effects of conventional medications.
The most common causes of migraine headaches are as follows, according to the US National Library of Medicine:
- Digestive disorders
- Hormonal disorders.
- Eye problems or visual overstrain.
- Mandibular tension.
- Dental infections
- Cervical blocks
- Renal problems.
- Not getting enough sleep
Once you know some of the reasons why migraine appears, it is time to find out how we can treat it naturally.
How to stop a migraine with ginger and lemon?
Among the causes that we have cited in the previous point, most of them are resolved if we purify toxins and allow our body to balance itself naturally.
This can help us reduce hypertension, improve anemia, regulate the digestive system and the hormonal system, eliminate excess fluids and mucus, etc.
In this sense, lemon and ginger are two foods that will be very effective thanks to their many beneficial properties.
Since it is a purifying food par excellence, lemon is a great cleanser for the body. Despite being an acid, it has alkalizing effects and helps digest and dissolve fats, which in many cases are what trigger migraines.
It is also ideal for treating cardiovascular disorders, according to this study by Beni-Suef University (Egypt). In addition, as long as the lemon is organic, we can also consume its peel, which is very rich in nutrients.
As a curiosity, you should know that in the past half a lemon was placed, for 10 minutes, on each wrist of the person suffering from migraine to relieve pain, although there is no evidence that it really works.
The rhizome of ginger ( Zingiber Officinale ) has been used since ancient times in the East for medicinal purposes. It has a very peculiar flavor, slightly sweet, refreshing and spicy.
In addition to relieving the pain of migraines caused by inflammatory processes, this root has many beneficial properties for our health:
- When it comes to the digestive system, it can improve digestion. This is stated in this study from Shahid Beheshti University (Iran).
- Relieves sore and sore throats. This is due to its anti-inflammatory properties, according to this research from Isfahan University (Iran).
- It helps to prevent infections and to raise the defenses, according to the previous study.
- It has an expectorant function, which helps us eliminate mucus.
- It protects our cardiovascular health, according to this study carried out by Umeå University (Sweden).
We can consume it dry, powdered, or fresh, grated or thinly sliced.
How do we take them if we want to stop the migraine?
Every morning we will prepare the following drink:
- 2 organic lemons with their peel.
- 5 tablespoons (50 g) of peeled fresh ginger.
- 2 liters of water.
- Pure stevia extract.
- We will put the lemons cut into medium pieces in a blender, without peeling, and add the ginger, also in pieces.
- We will add the water and the stevia and we will beat it, during 2 minutes, at a medium intensity.
- Next, we will strain it.
How should I take it?
- 2 glasses on an empty stomach.
- 3 glasses mid-morning.
- 3 glasses in the afternoon.
- 1 glass before going to bed.
When will we apply this treatment?
We can do this treatment in two different ways:
- On the one hand, when we are already suffering from migraine, until we feel better. In this case, to be effective we must avoid dairy foods, animal protein, fried foods and other harmful fats, as well as all those foods that we know that we do not digest correctly.
- On the other hand, it is also possible to apply it as prevention, for 15 days and repeating the treatment every three months or in times when we are most vulnerable to migraine.
Since you already know about the properties and benefits of lemon and ginger to stop migraines, do not hesitate to take them as we have indicated! Still, if problems persist, see your doctor immediately.