The body can become unbalanced by maintaining bad lifestyle habits such as a sedentary lifestyle or a diet consisting mainly of acidic foods. When that happens, health can suffer and that is why it is necessary to make some corrections in habits and, at the same time, alkalize the body. All with the aim of recovering health and promoting well-being.
To achieve this, it is essential to know a little more about what it means to alkalize the body. Let’s see more details below.
Why is it so important to alkalize the body and regulate the pH?
As we have been commenting, when there is an increase in acidity in the blood, that is, if the pH is low, we are facing acidosis. This can be of two types:
- Respiratory : when there is an excess of carbon dioxide in the body because the lungs are unable to get rid of it.
- Metabolic : occurs when the kidneys cannot remove enough acid from the body.
Treating them early is essential, as they can trigger problems such as kidney stones, chronic kidney problems, or bone disease.
The opposite can also happen, that is, that the pH is above the advisable levels. It is alkalosis, which can manifest itself with nausea, nervousness or spasms. It is also important to treat it as soon as possible.
As you can see, it is important to control the pH levels. If it is unbalanced, problems such as bone weakness, being overweight or sleeping problems can appear. However, there is a lot of controversy at the scientific level about whether it is possible to control this parameter through diet.
How do you know what your pH is?
It is considered that the ideal is to maintain a pH between 7.35 and 7.45, so that the body can correctly perform vital functions, such as adequate detoxification and correct absorption of nutrients.
To know exactly the pH , you will need to use urine test strips . Once you have them, you must take the measurement at two specific times: first thing in the morning and late in the day. To do this, you must follow the following steps:
- Collect the urine in a container. It has to be midstream urine for accurate sample collection. This is because both the beginning and the end of the urine flow are different levels of particles.
- Take a test strip and soak it in your urine for at least five seconds, and compare it to the color printed on the paper roll.
- The goal is to achieve levels between 7.3 and 7.4.
Recommendations to alkalize the body and balance the pH
If your test result shows high levels of acidity, don’t worry. You can adjust the pH and alkalize your body by consuming certain foods that may help reduce acidity and avoid associated health problems.
Now, it is important to clarify that these foods should always be consumed within what would be a balanced diet and never as the only way to eat, since doing so could put health at risk instead of improving it. It is essential to always prioritize the intake of fruits and vegetables, according to a study published in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
- Start the day with a glass of natural fruit juice (without adding sugar or sweeteners). This juice can be of carrots, celery, kale, apples and ginger, since fruits and vegetables are the most alkalizing foods.
- Add foods high in antioxidants to your diet. Blueberries, carrots, tomatoes, and other plant-based foods are highly recommended options. These have been shown to be able to help in the prevention of complex pathologies.
- Instead of consuming snacks and ultra-processed ones, consume between 2 and 3 pieces of natural fruit a day. You can do it in snacks or together with your main meals as a dessert.
- Eat leafy greens and vegetables for lunch. They can be steamed Brussels sprouts, spinach, kale, and broccoli. You can also eat beans or another legume, or brown rice.
- If you usually eat a lot of red meat, it is best to reduce its consumption a little and instead opt for white meat and fish; And if you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, you can opt for plant protein sources, such as soybeans, nuts, seeds, and legumes.
- It is important to avoid processed meats. According to a study published in the International Journal of Cancer, they could increase the risk of cancer.
- Another tip is that you drink enough water during the day, to eliminate excess acids in the body.
- Reduce the consumption of coffee and industrial beverages (soft drinks, teas, flavored waters and the like).
Note on Acid Generating Foods
Meat, dairy products, and most foods made with refined flours are acid generators. Therefore, you must maintain a moderate consumption if you want to alkalize the body and avoid imbalances.
You do not have to give up these foods completely, but simply try to maintain balance in your meals and snacks every day, even when it is a party. Remember that the more consistent you are on a daily basis, the more benefits you can obtain both in the short and long term in terms of health and well-being.
Eat healthy to keep your body balanced
Scientific studies do not support, for the most part, that the intake of certain foods manages to influence the acid-base balance. However, they do show that they improve health, which is why their consumption should be encouraged on a regular basis. Of course, always in the context of a balanced diet.