The calzone, also known as wrapped pizza or trouser pizza, is a different proposal to savor your favorite pizzas. As a snack, it turns out to be extremely delicious, and if you know how to make bread dough, you can make it in no time.
Next, we will show you how to prepare it, keep in mind that the amount of ingredients that we propose will be enough for two medium-sized pizzas. Therefore, if you want to make more, you will need to adjust the amount of ingredients.
So, let’s get down to business.
- 320 grams of bread flour
- 25 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 7 grams of baking powder yeast
- 170 ml of water
- A teaspoon of salt
- 3 large tomatoes
- Buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 70 grams of portobello mushrooms
Preparation of the dough
- In a deep bowl, sift the flour and yeast, form a small volcano and inside it, place the olive oil, water and salt.
- Begin to knead everything starting in the center and spreading until you manage to cover all the flour. When you get a more or less uniform dough, put it on a clean surface and knead vigorously for about 10 minutes.
- Put it in the bowl and let it rest covered with plastic wrap for at least an hour, until it ferments.
- Once it has doubled in size, knead it again until it becomes soft and flatten it with a rolling pin. You can give the dough a round or square shape, this will depend on your taste.
Preparation of the filling
- Take the tomatoes and grate them very well, add a little salt and put them on the dough. Shred the mozzarella cheese with a fork, try to drain all the water (this will prevent the calzone from being too wet) and place them on the tomato.
- Proceed to cut the portobello mushrooms into thin slices and place them on the cheese.
- Next, preheat the oven to 220 ºC. Now you just have to sprinkle everything with oregano and close the calzone by sealing the ends of it. You can apply a little water to the edges before closing and then fold them up so that they will not peel or open during the baking process.
- Place your calzone on a baking sheet and take it to the oven, where you should leave them for at least 10 minutes. The idea of this recipe is that it is crispy on the outside but very soft on the inside.
- The calzone can be filled with a wide variety of ingredients, so let your imagination fly and remember that the most important thing when cooking is that you have a good time while doing it.
- In case you use fresh yeast, you must first dilute it in a little warm water and then add it to the other ingredients.
- If you want to add more flavor to the recipe, you can sprinkle the filling with Parmesan cheese.
- Marble surfaces are perfect for kneading processes. However, few people have this type of material in their kitchens.
- If you don’t have a rolling pin, you can simply roll out the dough a few times using your hands.
- If what you want is to save time, you can prepare the vegetables while the dough is fermenting.
- Before starting any type of recipe, both for courtesy and for safety, the best thing you can do is ask your guests what ingredients they prefer, this will avoid giving them an unpleasant surprise or using items to which they are allergic.
Keep in mind that if you have children and you want them to participate in the preparation, you can have them make the dough and let them select the ingredients. The only ones that should not be replaced are tomato and cheese. Get ready to enjoy in the company of this exquisite and wonderful recipe.