Preparing a delicious breakfast with melon and yogurt could provide interesting health benefits. Not only would it represent a good alternative to recharge yourself with energy, but it would also provide essential nutrients that would help promote physical and mental well-being. Do you want to learn how to prepare it?
For a long time they have recommended us to start the day with a complete and balanced breakfast. Although many have underestimated this first meal of the day, many experts argue that its daily intake is decisive for both body weight and other aspects of health.
Therefore, instead of preparing the typical coffee with cookies, we propose this exquisite recipe that combines very healthy ingredients. In the next space we will review its main properties and the simple recipe to make it at home. Test it!
Melon and yogurt for your breakfast
A good breakfast should be made with ingredients of high nutritional quality. Thus, this melon and yogurt mix could be a good option for those who want to eat better, without spending too much time on complex preparations.
According to data from the Spanish Nutrition Foundation, melon provides antioxidant compounds, such as vitamin C and beta-carotenes, which fight against oxidative damage, helping to protect the body from free radicals. In addition, yogurt provides an interesting dose of calcium and phosphorus (18% and 30% respectively of the recommended intakes).
Melon is a low-calorie fruit that stands out for its interesting concentration of nutrients. It is a food that is worth adding to breakfast, since it contains water-soluble vitamins such as vitamin C and folic acid.
It is also a source of fat-soluble vitamins such as carotenes and, of course, provides minerals. Among other things, it is an important source of fiber. According to different studies, fiber would help improve digestion and reduce cholesterol levels.
In addition, the antioxidant action of its beta-carotenes would help to inhibit the negative effects of free radicals on healthy cells in the body. In this way, its consumption could be a good way to prevent some diseases.
To be more specific, eating melon for breakfast would help you:
- Stay hydrated, due to its high water content.
- Have good cardiovascular health: This could be due to its content of lycopene, a substance linked to lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, two of the risk factors for heart disease.
- Protect digestive health, due to its fiber content. A 2012 study associated fiber with reducing digestive problems like constipation.
- Fight overweight: research published in Nutrients pointed out that regular consumption of melon could help overweight people lose kilos due to its satiating effect.
It should also be noted that, due to their flavor, melons are very versatile and can be combined with other foods when including them in the diet. Therefore, today they are the protagonists of this recipe.
The benefits of yogurt for human health are not a new topic. This food has stood out for hundreds of years as one of the best supplements for nutrition. It is a source of probiotics, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and protein.
In fact, scientific studies have shown that it can help improve digestion and intestinal health. In addition, due to its calcium content, it would help protect bones against osteoporosis.
Other advantages that you could get from taking yogurt would be:
- Higher level of physical and mental energy
- Weight control, due to probiotics and their action on the regulation of the intestinal tract.
- Strengthening the immune system
- Protection of the intestinal flora
- Prevention of metabolic diseases
How to make a melon and yogurt breakfast
The preparation of this breakfast with melon and yogurt is very simple and you can repeat it as many times as you want. In addition to the aforementioned ingredients, we suggest adding a little strawberries to improve the flavor and obtain a plus of antioxidants. You’ll love it!
- 4 slices of melon
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (125 ml)
- 6 strawberries washed
- Lemon juice drops
- 1 tablespoon of grated coconut (15 g)
- 3 crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoon of honey (15 g)
- To start, chop the melon slices into small cubes.
- Next, pour them into a cup and cover them with the yogurt.
- Next, chop the strawberries and add them.
- Finally, drizzle the lemon drops, sprinkle the grated coconut and add the almonds and honey.
Have you already tried it? As you can see, making a breakfast with melon and yogurt can be beneficial, as well as simple. If you don’t have a lot of time to make other preparations, this is a good option.