In general, white tongue is a sign of poor oral hygiene or bacteria accumulation, so we must pay attention, go to the doctor for a check-up and follow their directions.
Ha Have you ever noticed your white tongue? The tongue is one of the most important and useful organs in our body. It allows us to speak and distinguish flavors, so it should always be clean.
The white tongue is a consequence of the accumulation of bacteria, dead cells and a sign that something could be wrong with your health.
Smoking, alcoholism, dehydration, the use of certain medications, and poor oral hygiene are some of the most common causes of white tongue. Although it can also be a symptom of oral candidiasis, leukoplakia and other conditions.
When the language white begins to appear, you will only notice some patches. As the problem progresses, these patches will grow larger until they cover the entire tongue.
Depending on the cause, the treatment will be one or the other. Therefore, there is no general treatment for white tongue as such, but for the cause that is causing it.
Above all, the most important thing is to follow the doctor’s instructions and, at the same time, try to improve lifestyle habits. For example, if the problem has been poor oral hygiene, then daily cleaning will need to be improved.
There are those who consider that consuming certain foods or drinks or some natural remedies can improve in a shorter period of time. Let’s see some proposals.
Probiotics are bacteria that fight oral microbes and enhance the immune response. This helps It helps prevent white tongue, reduce inflammation and fight microbes that have accumulated in the body.
- To consume the probiotics you can consume a little yogurt daily or probiotics in capsules.
- Yogurt is a good idea if you also want to eat a balanced diet.
- Capsules are easy to find in health food stores.
The glycerin It is a great ally to combat white tongue as e eliminates oral bacteria and prevents their accumulation . For the effect to be long-lasting, you should use glycerin constantly. The ideal is to apply it once a day if the problem is mild or twice a day for the very affected tongue.
- Just dab a little glycerin on a soft bristle toothbrush.
- Brush your tongue for 2 minutes and rinse with warm or cool water.
3. Coconut oil
Coconut oil contains antibacterial ingredients that kill bacteria accumulated in the mouth . For the effect to be really what you expect, use good quality organic coconut oil.
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil (5 g).
- Soft bristle toothbrush.
- As soon as you get up in the morning, wash your mouth with the coconut oil.
- Then pay special attention to the tongue and brush it for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- To finish, rinse with fresh water and wash with your usual paste.
4. Aloe vera juice
Aloe vera juice has antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that gently remove the white coating that forms on the tongue.
We recommend using freshly extracted natural aloe vera juice instead of commercial options.
- First use two tablespoons of aloe vera juice to rinse your mouth. Do this by taking the time to ensure that the entire mouth has been rinsed.
- Then wash with your usual paste.
5. Sea salt
Sea salt is another infallible remedy to combat white tongue. Although you can use normal salt, we recommend sea salt because it has larger grains that facilitate exfoliation.
Salt removes dead cells that accumulate on the tongue, is a great antiseptic and kills bacteria.
- You just need to take a pinch of sea salt and apply it directly on your tongue.
- Brush with your toothbrush for about 3 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Turmeric is antibacterial and helps remove the white coating that accumulates on the tongue. To enhance its power, we recommend using a little lemon juice. This will make brushing easier.
- You only need to take a teaspoon of turmeric and mix it with the juice of a lemon.
- Use the paste to brush for 3 minutes and rinse with fresh water.
According to some beliefs, peppermint would not only help fight bad breath but also the bacteria that cause white tongue. For this reason, there are people who make mint rinses with aloe vera to combat bad breath.
In a study, the effects of aloe vera gel with mint were evaluated to combat dry mouth and improve oral health in hospitalized patients in the Intensive Care Unit.
The researchers concluded that the use of this rinse could be beneficial in some cases, such as reducing the incidence and severity of mucus.
Tips to avoid white tongue
As you can see, there are several natural remedies to eliminate the bacteria that have accumulated on your tongue. We recommend that, once you have eliminated the problem, you take the following precautions to prevent it from appearing again:
- Brush your teeth at least 3 times a day. It seems like obvious advice, but it is common to miss some brushing, especially the one at noon.
- Go to your dental check-ups periodically.
- If you have already noticed excess bacteria, you need to maintain hygiene as much as possible. Use floss and mouthwash at least 4 times a week.
- Drink enough water throughout the day. In addition to keeping you hydrated, water helps eliminate bacteria that accumulate in your mouth. You don’t need to force yourself to drink two liters, but you do need to drink more than 3 glasses of water a day. And a little more if you do physical activity.
Do you know another remedy to eliminate white tongue? Tell us which one works best for you.