Did you know that eggplant, in addition to having diuretic properties, helps fight the action of free radicals and can prevent kidney problems such as insufficiency?
Keeping your kidneys healthy is very important. These organs play an essential role in our health because they eliminate waste through urine. In addition, they filter the blood and participate in the production of some important hormones.
Its functions are commonly overlooked. However, it must be clear that, without these, our body would be intoxicated and in a short time the other systems of the body could be affected.
Therefore, it is necessary to maintain good lifestyle habits. It is necessary to avoid the sources of toxins as much as possible and provide the body with essential nutrients through a balanced and complete diet.
Fiber sources, as well as antioxidants and enzymes, are great for promoting your detoxification. For this reason, we talk about 7 foods that help keep your kidneys healthy. Discover them!
1. Red peppers
Red peppers contain diuretic and antioxidant substances. After being assimilated by the body, they optimize kidney function to promote the elimination of fluids retained in the tissues. This is suggested by this study carried out by Qassim University (Saudi Arabia).
- They contain potassium and sodium, two substances whose balance helps to keep inflammatory processes stable. This is stated by this research from Fukuoka University (Japan).
- Its vitamins and minerals support cell regeneration and reduce the negative effects of free radicals on healthy tissues.
- They are recommended for patients with kidney failure and infections, as they fight inflammation and help maintain an adequate level of electrolytes.
Onion is a vegetable known for its antioxidant nutrients. Therefore, it is another of the foods that promote good kidney health.
- It has interesting amounts of quercetin, a substance that inhibits cell damage in healthy tissues of the heart and kidneys. This is stated in this study from Tianjin Medical University (China).
- Its contribution of allicin, a sulfurous substance, reduces inflammatory problems and prevents the accumulation of toxins. In addition, it gives it antibiotic properties, ideal for preventing bacterial and viral infections, according to this study from the University of Edinburgh.
Eggplants are known for their high content of vitamins and minerals. In addition to improving kidney health, they also support the functions of the cardiovascular system, as pointed out by this study from the Nigerian Federal University of Technology.
- They have diuretic and detoxifying properties that help eliminate fluids and toxins to prevent premature tissue deterioration.
- Its antioxidant compounds help stop the deterioration caused by free radicals.
- They provide significant amounts of fiber, a nutrient that regulates cholesterol and the processes that are responsible for cleaning the blood.
They are rich in essential fatty acids, amino acids, and antioxidants. Therefore, nuts are a healthy food that can strengthen kidney health.
- Its intake, in moderate amounts, prevents inflammatory disorders, according to this study from Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston (United States).
- They have vitamins and minerals.
- They are satiating and help control anxiety to eat.
5. Blue fish to maintain healthy kidneys
Oily fish, also known as fatty or cold-water fish, is one of the most important sources of omega 3 that we can find.
- This fatty acid, together with amino acids and minerals, reduces the risk of inflammatory disorders, as stated in this study by the University G. D’Annunzio (Italy).
- Its regular intake controls high cholesterol and prevents high blood pressure, according to this study from the University of Innsbruck (Austria).
- It reduces the uncontrols in the salts and proteins of the urine. Thus, it prevents the formation of stones and kidney obstructions, as suggested by the Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences (Iran).
Watermelon contains water and fiber, which help eliminate waste from the kidneys, thus preventing disease .
- Its diuretic properties stimulate the expulsion of retained fluids in the tissues, controlling inflammation and the risk of infections.
- It helps to avoid dehydration thanks to its enormous contribution in water. Avoid uncontrolled electrolyte levels.
This tropical fruit, which we can include in our eating plan in multiple ways, is one of the best allies to keep kidneys healthy.
- It contains bromelain, a known active substance that gives it antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects to prevent the deterioration of these organs. This is stated in this study from Sri Ramachandra University (India).
- Its diuretic power drives the expulsion of fluids. This helps to avoid complications and promotes our general health.
Ready to start taking care of your kidneys? Add all these foods to your diet and discover for yourself how good they are at protecting these organs.