Some foods contain nutrients that are beneficial for controlling the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Are you interested in knowing what they are? Here we detail some options.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic and debilitating gastrointestinal disorder that affects about 14% of the world’s population. Its symptoms include abdominal pain, straining, myalgia, bloating, and feelings of serious illness.
According to information published in Gastroenterology & Hepatology, its cause remains unknown, but it involves factors such as infection, inflammation, medications, and stress. Also, some patients report that symptoms can be made worse by certain foods.
On the contrary, there are also some foods whose properties help to calm the symptoms of this condition. While it is best to consult a nutritionist for a more detailed and complete diet, in general, consuming these options is beneficial.
What to eat for irritable bowel syndrome?
A publication in the World Journal of Gastroenterology medical journal states that research on the role of diet in irritable bowel syndrome has made it possible to recognize its role in treating the disease. In this sense, it is recommended:
- Limit alcoholic beverages: 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men.
- Limit Caffeine Intake – You should limit yourself to 400 mg of caffeine per day.
- Moderate or avoid the consumption of spicy foods, especially if it is observed that the symptoms worsen after ingestion.
- Moderate fat intake: IBS patients should limit fat intake to no more than 40-50g per day.
- Consume dietary fiber: in moderate amounts, preferably from sources such as flax seeds, oats, nuts, and whole grains.
- A low-lactose diet: a trial period with a low-lactose diet is advised to determine if there is an improvement in symptoms.
Now, as we already mentioned, there are some foods whose composition is favorable for people who suffer from this condition. They are not curative or anything like that, but they serve as adjuvants against the symptoms of this disorder. Discover them!
Avocado is one of the recommended foods to promote digestive function. According to a study published in Nutrition Journal , this food contains dietary fiber, monounsaturated fatty acids, nutrients and phytochemicals that improve the quality of the diet.
In fact, thanks to this composition, its consumption favors the balance of the intestinal microbiota and reduces the risk of metabolic diseases. Therefore, it not only favors the health of patients with irritable bowel syndrome, but also reduces some risk factors that are associated with the complications of this disorder.