Cholesterol is a substance produced by the liver that is essential for health. Adequate cholesterol levels are synonymous with well-being and inner balance. This is an important fact that, without a doubt, we must take into account, because there are still people who associate the word “cholesterol” with something harmful or dangerous. The key is the subtle balance and above all, preventing the bad cholesterol or LDL from rising.
Because, in that case, this substance will begin to accumulate in our arteries to take away, little by little, our health. Likewise, another fact that we must remember is that if the body already produces the right and necessary cholesterol itself, obtaining it from food sources is also a danger.
The need to eat an adequate diet
Being over 40 years old, being overweight and having a genetic history associated with hypercholesterolemia will undoubtedly make us have to take maximum care of our diet.
Today in our space we want to propose the following:
- improve your lifestyle habits.
- avoid sedentary lifestyle.
- add a note of color and flavor to your diet with these fabulous fruits.
In this way, you will be able to balance your cholesterol levels.
Control cholesterol levels
Did you know that fruits can help you control your cholesterol levels? As you read. Let’s see below the best fruits to achieve it.
Are avocados really going to help us balance cholesterol levels? Eating half an avocado a day and following a varied and healthy diet will help our cholesterol to improve in just over a month.
- Avocados are a source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, according to a study published in The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- This fat is converted into energy (not stored), reduces the level of lipids in the body and also regulates blood sugar.
- The niacin in avocado, also known as vitamin B3, helps us balance the body’s cholesterol level.
2. The red grapefruit
If you can get red grapefruit, take the opportunity. The reason? Few fruits are so positive when it comes to reducing bad cholesterol.
- Red grapefruit will only be effective against cholesterol if we are constant. It is necessary to consume half a grapefruit every day for breakfast. Make sure it is organically grown.
- According to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry , people with high cholesterol who did not respond to medication were able to reduce their cholesterol levels thanks to red grapefruit.
- The antioxidant properties of this fruit are, without a doubt, very suitable to enjoy a better quality of life due to its cardioprotective effects.
3. Natural orange juice
To understand why orange juice helps us balance cholesterol, we must first talk about sterols.
- You’ve probably already heard of them. Sterols have a structure very similar to that of cholesterol. They are a compound that is found naturally in certain fruits such as oranges, in some vegetables, nuts, seeds and vegetable oils.
- Sterols lower total cholesterol and LDL. While it is true that an orange juice provides us with a very small amount of sterols, it serves to raise good cholesterol.
If we drink a juice every day and, in addition, we follow a suitable diet, the results will be noticed in our next analysis.
Strawberries will be healthy and suitable to balance cholesterol levels as long as we consume them naturally. That is, nothing to add sugar or chocolate.
- Strawberries, like blueberries or berries (what we know as berries) reduce low-density lipoproteins (LDL or bad cholesterol).
- If we have the opportunity to eat between 10 or 15 strawberries every day, triglycerides will also be reduced, thanks to its antioxidant action in our blood flow.
Increasing the consumption of red fruits (such as cherries, blueberries, strawberries or red grapes) will directly revert to our heart health.
5. An apple a day
Apple with oatmeal for breakfast, a green apple salad with celery and walnuts at noon or a delicious natural juice in the afternoon.
There are many ways to include an apple a day in our diet. Do it however you like but, above all, be consistent.
The apple has been shown to help balance cholesterol due to pectin and its polyphenols (antioxidants).
Thanks to them we are able to improve cholesterol metabolism and reduce the inflammatory molecules that cause heart disease.
Improve diet to lower cholesterol
Of course, these fruits by themselves will not be enough to lower cholesterol levels. Also, you need to watch your diet. Be consistent and change your eating habits if they are not correct.
Something as simple as adding color to our salads with a piece of fruit or always carrying an apple in our bag when hunger strikes can do miracles for our health.