Many foods contain nutrients that are beneficial for the skin. Its regular consumption, as well as its application, can contribute to keeping the skin healthy and radiant. Discover them!
Food does not have super powerful properties to prevent or make wrinkles disappear. However, some, due to their nutritional quality, can help delay their appearance and improve skin health.
A study published through the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology concluded that eating habits are associated with facial wrinkles in women. In this way, having a healthy diet can help maintain youthful skin for longer.
Considering this, we want to make a brief list with 10 foods against wrinkles. Both its consumption and its external use can contribute to keeping the skin healthy and young. Keep them in mind!
Foods against wrinkles: are they effective?
Something that we must bear in mind at all times is that food is only an aid in the prevention of wrinkles. While there are some that, in particular, have shown positive anti-aging effects, they alone cannot do much for the skin.
Therefore, to prevent and reduce the presence of wrinkles, it is essential to take into account other basic care, such as hydration, exfoliation and cleaning. Also, you can consult a dermatologist to learn about other more effective anti-wrinkle methods.
Research on diet and skin aging
Nutrition has always been recognized as playing a leading role in skin health. For this reason, maintaining a healthy diet, rich in micro and macronutrients, and moderate in calories, contributes to a soft, youthful dermis that is free of imperfections.
When it comes to aging prevention, research has found that sources of antioxidants such as carotenoids, tocophenols, and flavonoids, as well as vitamins (A, C, D, and E), essential omega-3 fatty acids, some proteins and lactobacilli have a positive effect.
Antioxidants, in particular, have the function of inhibiting the negative effects of oxidative stress, the main causes of premature cell aging. In addition, they stimulate cell regeneration and also have a protective effect against the sun’s rays.
For its part, as described in a review published in the Journal of Lifestyle Medicine , nutrients such as vitamins C and E are essential for the production of collagen, improve immune function and have a photoprotective effect.
Meanwhile, findings published in the Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology suggest that lactobacilli, which are probiotic agents, have anti-aging effects on the skin and could aid in the prevention and reduction of wrinkles.
10 recommended foods against wrinkles
There are many foods that can be helpful against wrinkles and the signs of aging. Some can even be tried as a mask. In any case, they must be included in a healthy and balanced diet, as this guarantees an optimal supply of all nutrients.
Keeping the studies mentioned above in mind, we have selected 10 top foods to consider.
- Melon: rich in antioxidants and water. As a mask it helps to hydrate the skin.
- Avocado: contains protein, healthy fats, and antioxidants. As a mask it hydrates and nourishes.
- Blueberries: they concentrate powerful antioxidants that help fight oxidative stress.
- Salmon: rich in proteins and healthy fats, it is an ideal food to take care of the skin from the inside.
- Dark chocolate: its proteins, fats and antioxidants help to protect the skin against the sun and free radicals.
- Natural yogurt: it is a source of lactobacilli that help protect the skin inside and out. You can mix it with fruit and use it as a mask.
- Olive oil: its healthy fats fight dryness and help remove dead cells.
- Strawberries: eaten or applied to the skin, they provide beneficial vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Oats: in addition to giving us energy, oats are a great food to fight wrinkles. In addition, it is suitable for sensitive skin.
- Honey of bees: it fulfills several functions in the skin, in addition to preventing wrinkles. Applied externally, it favors wound healing, reduces scars and minimizes the negative effects of the sun’s rays.
Eating healthy is beneficial for skin health
The list of foods against wrinkles is quite extensive, therefore, there are many recipes that we can prepare with them. In this sense, taking advantage of its benefits can be a really delicious task!
Although it is true that food is not capable of making wrinkles disappear completely, overnight, they do contribute greatly to the health of the skin. Therefore, it is worth always betting on a balanced diet, which includes the foods that we have recommended and others.
By eating healthy and maintaining other good habits of life, the health of the skin will improve and with it the imperfections will be mitigated.